Saturday, May 02, 2009

TOWARDS A BIGGER ECONOMY

NO HOLDS BARRED (011) April 30, 2009
By Ike Señeres

TOWARDS A BIGGER ECONOMY

Some of the best things that happen to me are not planned. I am now the host of “Bulls and Bears”; the daily coverage of local stock trading that is a joint project of the Philippine Stock Exchange (PSE) and Global News Network (GNN). The show runs daily from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM in over a hundred cable networks nationwide. In Metro Manila, you can watch it Channel 7 of Global Destiny Cable. No, you can’t watch it in Sky Cable because they only run their own in-house productions.

The good news came to me after hearing a bit of bad news that my Friday night show “Ka Iking Live” also shown on GNN would be discontinued due to some programming changes. Not feeling any remorse, I thank the GNN management for the opportunity to broadcast for so many weeks, my gratefulness coming sincerely from my heart.

Upon learning that GNN was going to offer me a better and longer time, and at prime time at that, I learned a lesson in life that good things really come from good actions. I said that because I feel that GNN management really appreciated my peaceful attitude in accepting the cancellation of my Friday night show.

You might say that I have cheap thrills, because I was really thrilled to the max when the GNN crew applauded me after the last broadcast of “Ka Iking Live”. That really surprised me, because all along, I thought that most crew members are just there for their jobs, and could not care less if a show is good or not, or if a host is worth appreciating or not.

What am I doing in a stock market show? I am a product of the UP Political Science Department, and until recently, I was doing mostly political analysis in my newspaper columns. I do recall however that in my senior year in Diliman, the focus of instruction turned to the political economy and to linkage politics, and that was perhaps my starting point in the world of economics.

I would say that the old debate or sibling rivalry between Political Science students and Economics students in UP still continues, the debate on which of the two disciplines is really the prima donna of the social sciences. Of course my bias is for Political Science, but later on I acquired an interest in economics, inspired perhaps by my active involvement in economic development over the years.

Armed with a background in economic development, I wholeheartedly embraced the discipline of development diplomacy when I became a Foreign Service Officer (FSO), since it was coincidentally the dominant practice at that time. Sad to say, the interest in this discipline has waned over the years, and very few seem to be practicing it now.

My sadness for the apparent demise of development diplomacy is actually just a sequel of my earlier disappointment over the death of the human settlements concept in this country, I say death, because I know for a fact that the succession of several administrations after Martial Law had killed it, mistaking it perhaps as a political gimmick despite its actually being a profound economic development strategy.

What good could a stock market show do for a developing country like the Philippines? It is a well known fact that there will be no Silicon Valley or no Detroit today if not for the industrial capital that was raised in the American stock markets. Capital is the fuel of the economy, and stock markets are the venues where capital is raised.

Prof. Sonny Coloma, one of my guests last week told me in the show that in Japan, many of the stock market players are housewives and taxi drivers. Is that because the Japanese people have more disposable funds to invest, or is that because they have a better understanding of how the stock market works, how they could make money from it and help their economy in the process?

My show is just one of the many television programs on the air, but because of its unique focus on the stock market in particular and in business news in general, I am hoping that it could become the means for more capital to be raised for our big industries and small enterprises, so that by way of active development communications, we could have a bigger and better economy for the betterment of the lives of our people.

Email unidaphilippines-subscribe@yahoogroups.com to join the United National Integrated Development Alliance (UNIDA). Text +639293605140

1 Comments:

Blogger jhesqi said...

Is there any way to watch your show through the internet. I currently don't have Global Destiny Cable but I'm interested on your show about the Philippine Stock Market.

7:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Philippines Best of Blogs Link With Us - Web Directory OnlineWide Web Directory