Saturday, May 23, 2009

ENVIRONMENTAL THREATS

NO HOLDS BARRED (015) May 22, 2009
By Ike Señeres

ENVIRONMENTAL THREATS

Just when I was starting to think that development journalism was already a dying cause, I recently realized in-depth interviews with the right resource persons could bring out policy directions that could be suggested to the proper executive agencies or legislative bodies for appropriate action, for whatever these are worth. In some cases, the private sector could even act on these directions as possible program or project actions.

When I interviewed Dr. Roger Birosel in my TV show, I learned from him that most of our local government units (LGUs) do not have hazard mapping systems, even if the law requires it, and even if it is relatively easy to put these up. To add to that, Dr. Birosel also said that most of our LGUs do not have hazard warning systems, even if the law requires it, and even if it does not need high science to put it up.

I recently met with Ms. Nikki Meru, a program coordinator of Growth with Equity in Mindanao (GEM), a project of the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID). GEM has been helping Mindanao based small and medium enterprises (SMEs) and as a result of that meeting, I will soon be interviewing Mindanao business leaders in my TV show. I will also be receiving phoned in reports from Mindanao media about what is going on there.

I am very much concerned about the environmental safety of the people in Compostela Valley, the province of my birth. I was born in Compostela town when it was still a part of the old and undivided Davao province. The news about the mudslide deaths saddened me so much, but I was happy about what Dr. Birosel said, that he could help put up hazard mapping systems not only in that area, but all over the Philippines.

As far as I know, GEM is focused mostly on enterprise development, but what good would business assistance be if the security of the businesses in the area is always threatened by environmental damage? In the course of my interviews with the Mindanao business leaders, I hope to get some support for the installation of the hazard mapping systems, which do not really cost a lot of money.

A hazard mapping is one thing, a hazard warning system is another thing. What good can a mapping system do if there is no companion system that could warn the local people about the coming damage? Fortunately, it does not cost much to put up warning systems either, so I will also find a way to install this in Compostela, one way or the other.

In my article last week, I wrote about interconnection of Laguna Bay with Manila Bay, by way of the Pasig River. The area around Compostela Valley is interconnected with Butuan Bay, by way of the Agusan River. This subject is really close to my heart, because the Agusan River interconnects Compostela, the Valley of my birth, and Agusan, the Valley of my youth, where I grew up.

Sad to say, the actions of our government is very much media driven. I can understand the frenzy about the new influenza virus, but it is really just a new threat. In a way, it is good that the mudslide deaths has brought media attention to the dangers of this threat, but I really hope that it would not happen again, at least without the proper warnings.

In my TV program, I made an offer to all local governments that I would help them put up hazard mapping systems and hazard mapping systems, with very little startup costs to them. The costs should not even be an issue, because the benefit of saving lives is priceless. I wonder who is going to be the first to accept my offer.

Aside from mudslides, the people around the Compostela Valley are exposed to the dangers of mercury poisoning. This is no longer a threat, because its damaging effects are happening every day. To make matters worse, the mercury poisons are trailing down the entire span of the Agusan River, and are entering the food chain as these are eaten by the fish in the River and in the bays around Northern Mindanao.

Dr. Birosel says that these are also entering the food chain as the poisoned water is absorbed by the bananas that are planted around the region. Who is going to check on this problem? This is really a dangerous country.

Watch my TV show “Bears & Bulls”, a daily coverage of the Philippine Stock Exchange. 9:00 am to 1:00 pm in Global News Network. Email iseneres@yahoo.com or text +639293605140 for local cable listings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Philippines Best of Blogs Link With Us - Web Directory OnlineWide Web Directory